We got bored again on Sunday night and midway through a Desperate Housewives marathon, decided to bake some cupcakes. It’s been a while since we baked cakes so it was a lovely change.
I let the boyfriend do the frosting – not bad for his first ever attempt, right?
So here’s the recipe-
For the cakes you will need : (makes 12 cakes)
140g caster sugar
140g self raising flour
2 tbsp milk
lemon curd for the filling
For the frosting you will need :
280g icing sugar
a few drops of lemon flavour / lemon juice
a few drops of lemon food colouring (optional)
To make the cakes-
1. Preheat the oven to 180C and arrange 12 cupcake cases in a bun tin.
2. Next, combine the flour and butter in a bowl before adding the sugar, eggs and milk.
3. Distribute the mix between the cupcake cases and bake for approx. 10 mins.
When the cakes are cooked, cool on a wire rack
4. When the cakes have cooled, use a knife to cut a circle in the top of the cakes to create a well. If you have one, you could use a cupcake corer to do this!
5. Fill the wells with lemon curd and replace the ‘lid’ of the cake.
To make the frosting-
6. Sieve half the icing sugar into a bowl and mix with the butter.
7. When this has mixed, sieve the rest of the icing sugar into the bowl, add the colouring and flavouring and mix again.
8. Spoon the frosting into a piping bag and pipe onto the cakes in a circular motion. Note. It looks so much better if you frost the entire surface of the cupcake, rather than just a blob in the middle like mine. I didn’t have the heart to correct my boyfriend while he was doing it as he looked like he was having so much fun!
You could always top these cakes with sprinkles or other candy pieces.
They tasted AMAZING!